Thursday, August 28, 2008

Band Members: Gender

Thoughts on the actual band members:
I remember discussing the possibility of having a female band member, but I can't rememeber when. My initial reaction to this is that it might not work with the image of the band as a whole. I don't know why but I feel that bands' images 'work' when there is a female frontwoman, in that it sets up a sort of powerful female image to the band, and leaves possibility for this member to be the object of male affection/attraction and female admiration, they may be able to identify with the image of a powerful, leading woman. However, I feel that when there is just a random female band member women do not relate or identify or respect them, and they are rarely the object of much male attraction, and they can alter the image of a band alot by their presence. 'Gold' is also quite a masculine song, with the female being the object of male attention, especially given the direction of a love interest that we are taking it with the film noir/detective narrative. I think that perhaps the presence of a female musician could confuse the male-female dynamics for the audience, especially given that I think James is going to star in the narrative part as well.

No comments: