Thursday, August 28, 2008

Costume for Band

Just posted on the group blog asking for James' and Luke's measurements, as I'm thinking agood place to get cheap and decent costume (especially seeing as I think we're considering a slightly retro/80s feel with the blazers) would be a second hand shop (vintage or charity), tk maxx, or ebay.
James
I think we discussed him wearing a (slightly tight?), black blazer with the sleeves rolled/pushed up a little, and the buttons at least partially open.



Some images of similar/possible looks along these lines.
I think there is a shirt/t-shirt debate to be had here. A shirt certainly allows for nice sleeve-rolling (see last image) and may prevent the looking-too-young syndrome. I think it just needs trying out.

Luke
I can't recall what specific role Luke was going to fill?
However, I think a similar outfit to James could work. Maybe a different colour combination (e.g. James could wear a white shirt and dark blazer, while Luke could wear both black shirt and black blazer?). He could also wear his clothes slightly differently, e.g. more or less buttons undone. This would cement the band's image, be aesthetically appealling, whilst also cementing these band members together. The costumes shouldn't look identical I think because this could look a little big boy band or amateur?

Others
We don't know who will play the other members, but I think the previous idea about them being somewhat similar but not identical is appropriate?

What I think we need to achieve with the costume is:
  • to make the actors seem slightly older than they are
  • to address/convey the band's image/genre/style and cement this with the musical genre
  • for the band to look physically/sexually attractive to at least the relevant portion of the target audience (heterosexual females/gay men)
  • for the style of the the costume and appearance of the band in the performance to not jar too much with the visuals of the narrative.

No comments: